Monday, April 18, 2011

Comedy is a universal language


Race Day 2: unknown location to Mahe
Money raise for charity: $234
Distance Traveled: 500 km
Fender Benders: 1, a new car decides it doesn't like the way our rickshaw is looking at it and punches us in side.  We're fine but the new ends up with bright orange streak down it's side. I think our shaw won that one.
Near Death Experiences : 4, two semi trucks are speeding towards us going the wrong way on a 1 lane road.  We barely squeeze through them.  I need a towel... I may have just wet myself. 

While asking directions we encounter a young man who demands, "10 rupies!"  He shoves his hand in our faces and puffs his chest out intimidatingly.  His friends start joining him and one by one they start demanding, "10 rupees!" Not know the etiquette here I mirror his demands "10 rupees!" I bellowed with my hand outstretched and chest puffed out.  At first the crowd is confused, then their demeanor changes.  "10 rupees?" they ask with heads cocked to the side. "20 rupees!" I reply. One by one they started smiling, then the boy who started this exchange starts playing along, "30 rupees!" he bellows. I come back with, "40 rupees!"  at this point the crowd starts laughing and we continued raising the stakes until finally we were all on the laughing so hard it hurts.   

Cheers,
Cedric
---
Follow our twitter at @ RickShawGuys
Help end human trafficking by donating here

No comments:

Post a Comment